Monday, February 7, 2011

Crab Hunting

On Saturday night, we met some friends down at the beach for a bonfire. One of their sons, Hunter, was carrying around a Sobe bottle filled with sand and five crabs that he had already caught that night. Brent and I were fascinated. Those crabs are fast little buggers and we've never been able to catch a live one before. So while the rest of the adults sat around the fire, Brent and I followed Hunter down the beach as he gave us some crab hunting lessons.

After five lessons -within about 15 minutes- Brent had caught three or four crabs. (I held the light and left the crab grabbing to the boys). Apparently, the trick is to find one on the sand, guard their hole before they can run for cover, put your finger on their shell and push down lightly (this will cause them to pull their pinchers and eyes in) and then pick them up while holding their legs in.

Our master teacher, Hunter/Spiderman.

**No crabs were harmed during these events. All were released to their holes before the night was over.

6 comments:

  1. Ewwww. Kevin gets little crabs like that for his fish tank and I HATE them. I think they're creepy and fast and scary. Did you touch one? If so, you're braver than I am! Again, yuuuuckkk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This seems like a VERY Brenty thing to do. Having a kid show you how to catch crabs has Brent written all over it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janelle,
    I loved the disclaimer at the end (not that I really had worried about the crabs-but it was nice to know.) Fun pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very fun! I can't wait to come visit you again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hunter/Spiderman. Hilarious.

    ReplyDelete