After a couple months of searching, I'm very pleased with the job I've found. My search was mainly centered around the stipulation of being close to home and I can happily say that it's less than a ten minute drive to work (vs. the two hour bus ride for my internship). I work at Kahuku Farms. Most the time, I'm working in the country store. Sometimes I'm working in the office on various projects. But the country store is where I get to wear my cute apron. Basically, I make delicious smoothies and paninis and scoop ice creams all made from farm fresh ingredients. And a lot of the time I get to eat the treats myself. It's a pretty great situation.
The country store is a relatively new project for Kahuku Farms, but the family has been farming in the area for three generations and have a beautiful, well-established farm on hundreds of acres where they grow vanilla beans, lilikoi (passionfruit), lemons and limes, papayas, mangoes, watermelon, eggplant, and numerous other things. They ship their produce all over the country and also use it to make delicious jams, jellies, butters, teas, soaps, lotions, and more. My favorite thing they make with their fresh produce is the ice creams. You wouldn't believe how good ice cream tastes when it's made locally with fresh ingredients right off the farm. And we've got people coming from all over the island for a taste of our grilled vegetable panini.
I really enjoy working with the family. They are so kind and take care of me as if I'm a member of the fam. Besides that, I work on beautiful farmland where my view is filled tropical fruit trees and flowers. Within the month, we'll be starting up farm tours and tractor rides where I'll get to drive a tractor and talk to people about the beautiful lusciousness of Hawaii. Does it get better than that? I don't think so.
Visit the website here to read the farm story.
You get to drive a tractor? Freak yea. I'm sure Brent will be impressed by that! Haha! What a cool job.
ReplyDeleteSmoothies AND tractors... not to mention that fetching apron. Sounds like the good life to me.. almost as fun as desperately trying to think of a conversion starter whilst assisting your done in a root canal. Allllmost.
ReplyDeleteSounds heavenly to me! I just might have to visit there in the near future :) ps you look very cute/efficient in your apron.
ReplyDeleteWhen I come to visit you will you take me for a tractor ride? I have a hard time picturing you behind the wheel of a tractor, so I'm very intrigued by this new development.
ReplyDeleteI've been anxiously awaiting a post about your job at Kahuku Farms. Glad to see cute you in your cute apron, and hear about some of the treats you serve up. We will be excited to sample the fare (you've really got us wanting to taste several of the ice creams-as well as the panini). How about you and Brent taking a 'field trip' around the farm and send some pictures of that for us to enjoy? With your not having grown up on a farm--who is going to teach you to drive that tractor? It does sound fun and exciting.
ReplyDeleteThat sounds like a great job and you look so cute! The panini looks amazing, I can't wait to come try it!
ReplyDelete