Thursday, October 21, 2010

Food Fest!!

Last Friday was our first official Food Fest experience. Every semester, BYU-Hawaii puts on Food Fest where all the international clubs (the Tongan Club, the Samoan Club, the Fijian Club, the Korean Club, etc.) set up a booth and cook up their favorite foods from home. It's a chance to try a little bit of everything; traditional foods from all around the world. The flag circle in front of the school became 'Spooksville' as people from all over the island came to Laie for the fun. There were at least 15 different countries represented, all selling their freshly-made, authentic specialties.

Spooksville.

First, we decided to try the plate dinner from the Philippines. Rice, chicken and potatoes, and pork lumpia. Yum!


Then we tried a Fijian roti: a thick crepe-like thing filled with chicken curry. Also yum!


For dessert, we tried crepes from Mongolia (or somewhere, I can't remember exactly) and a watermelon drink from Tonga called Otai. I can't wait until February, the next Food Fest, so I can get the Lu from Tonga! It was one of my favorite foods when my family lived there about 10 years ago. I just didn't have room in my tummy for it this time.

So, food fest was a definite success. Visits planned in October, February, or May could allow some of you to experience this wondrous, unique event for yourselves. Think about it:)

6 comments:

  1. Next May or October for me! Or maybe February for a birthday gift! I really like that each one of your posts ends with a plea for visits. I just love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love Food Fest! It's my favorite night of the semester! I wish I could have been there with you. But I will be there with you in just over a week! And I'll be there in February or May to enjoy all the good food. Great post Nelle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how every post ends with an enticing invitation to partake of the fun ourselves!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We've heard so much about food fest from our other kids that have gone to school there at BYU-H, but never experienced one ourselves. THAT HAS GOT TO CHANGE! Workin' on it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. how did i live with you and not know you lived in Tonga?!

    ReplyDelete