There is a daycare center at the beginning of our street. They have a pair of goats there; to keep the children happy I guess. Usually they're gnawing on the fence trying to escape or sitting by the door waiting for food. On our walk one morning, we saw this.

Apparently they rest on the area where the children eat. As a public health major, the names of a million infectious diseases come to mind, but that's ok. We're in Hawaii right? And it's just funny.
Last Sunday, we went to dinner at the cousins'. My cousin Blaze had gone fishing/spearing that morning and brought his spoils to share.

It's an octopus. A fairly good sized one too. When you cook it, it turns red and pink. It's a favorite around here. I thought it was pretty cool to just have my cousin bring freshly speared octopus to dinner. I've never had that happen before.
On our drive yesterday, we happened upon the Kualoa Ranch Country Fair. Kualoa Ranch is where the tourists can go to horseback ride. Parts of Jurassic Park were also filmed in there. We decided to stop and take a look. They were having their yearly rodeo. It was an interesting sight to be watching a rodeo with the ocean in the background.


After the Rodeo, we continued driving and happened upon a state park. When we drove in, this is what we saw.


Isn't that kindof creepy? We were so confused. Not another soul in sight. At final count, there were at least 65-75 cats. Yet another thing I've never seen before. As we were about to drive out, another car pulled in and a lady got out. The cats circled around her as she opened her trunk and started feeding them. How nice of her, yet still kindof creepy. We decided she is the ultimate cat lady.

Can you tell we were afraid to get out of our car? We saw this sign posted and thought it was funny/ironic.

I think when you come to visit, this state park will need to be one of our stops.
Here is a video account of our happening upon the cats. You can tell how weirded out we were. In case you're interested...
I was scared.
ReplyDeletei hate cats. ew, ew ew ew. EWWWWWWWW.
ReplyDeleteIn answer to your question, what would you do if you found a place like that, Justin said he would run them over : ) Pretty crazy though. And I want to know, did you actually eat the octopus? Gross.
ReplyDeleteJanelle, you make me laugh with the way you word everything. I can certainly imagine that you were thinking/naming infectious diseases as you saw those goats on the food tables.
ReplyDeleteHow fun to be there with our Japanese Family (even if they do bring octopus for dinner).
With our not being 'cat people'-that post of approx. 75 cats just hanging out in the park (with the chickens-no less) was "creepy". Someone needs to enforce that 'No Animals' sign.
Oh man! I commented on this post earlier today, but now it's not showing up. Here's the jist of what I said:
ReplyDeleteYay for videos! I love hearing your voices.
Cats are gross. Ick!
There is no better way to entertain children than buying them a couple goats. But don't worry about them being on the tables, because the kids probably play "Lick the Goat" at recess.
Natalie,
ReplyDeleteI have never even heard of the game: "Lick the Goat". YUCK! Is that something your Father taught you? (And yes, you can tell him I said that). Since I can't get on your blog, I'll just tell you here that YOU HAVE A DARLING BABY!!!!! And you and Adam are extremely cute parents!
Janelle, have you seen this?..
ReplyDeletehttp://finance.yahoo.com/news/Hush-FritoLay-to-pull-most-apf-3363941657.html?x=0&.v=8
I saw this article and laughed so hard. Your voice was heard.
I decided I better write on your blog. This is a interesting place you are staying at. Goats that don't know they aren't suppose to be on tables and to many cats. You have a cute place to live. We hope school is going great. Brent, I stopped buying meatballs without you around we don't eat them fast enough. Love ya, Tom and Nancy
ReplyDeleteI'd bet anything that this is what happened: All of the cats that used to live in our lovely old trailer park decided that Idaho was waaaaaaaay lamer than Hawaii, especially when it gets cold. So they worked out a plan to smuggle themselves onto a plane headed for Hawaii. Next thing they know, they're on your blog.
ReplyDeleteI'd bet anything.
Janelle,
ReplyDeleteI was just reading my cousin's blog and she was talking about a trip her and her husband just took to Hawaii. She said that while there she learned that Hawaii's state bird was the chicken! And that they saw tons of wild chickens everywhere - and when I read it I thought of this post. I guess it was so strange that it was memorable :)
Anyway, that doesn't explain all those cats, but it does explain the chickens that were there.