Thursday, January 6, 2011

And We're Back

We had a wonderful Christmas at home in Idaho with the family. Unfortunately, I fell back into my routine of letting everyone else take the pictures and didn't collect from anybody before we flew back to Hawaii. Oops! But I did take a couple pictures that prove I'm becoming crafty. So here they are.

One day, I sat down with my sisters and we made hair flowers all day. I'm pretty proud of our results.

With my mom as my teacher, I made a BSU quilt for Brent for Christmas. This was my first project on a sewing machine since 8th grade Home Ec class, so I was surprised at how well this baby turned out. I matched up my corners and everything!It took the entire break to finish, but at least I've conquered my first big project and I'm not so scared to move onto the next one. I'm excited I've started down the crafty road because, now that I'm done with school, I'm going to need something exciting to fill up my free time.

We loved spending two and a half weeks with our parents, siblings, and nieces and nephews. We also got to catch up with some old friends and I was able to fill in as an assistant at my Dad's dental office for a few days. I love working with my dad!

I also helped convince my dad to get an X-Box 360 with the Kinect (your body is the controller) just in time for our New Years Eve party. SoOOoo much fun. That dance game you see on all the commercials... it's as great as it looks. If this is the future, I'm excited. We can't wait for the Wii to come out with something that rivals the Kinect sensor.

And now we're back in Hawaii. We are loving the warmth and our skin is loving the moisture in the air. We jumped right back into the Hawaiian lifestyle with some starfruit from our landlord. Starfruit is delicious. It tastes like a mix between an apple, a pear, and a plum. Yummy, right?!

Other than that, school has started again for Brent. As a new VP, he's been asked to give the opening prayer for the first campus devotional of the semester on Tuesday where the president of the university is the main speaker. So that'll be fun. Brent's a big wig around campus now I suppose:) We've also inherited a hand-me-down camera from my dad in order to document our Hawaiian experience the way it deserves to be documented. Brent's pretty excited about it. So hopefully this means I'll have a lot of better quality pictures to post from here on out.

So family, we loved seeing you! Thank you for everything. Loveyoumissyoubye!

8 comments:

  1. I love your flowers! I want to learn how to make the ones that look like folded up hearts all put together. If you send me your address I will send you our picture for your fridge : ) Good luck keeping busy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We played the Just Dance 2 game on the Wii and I am in love! But the kinect game for Xbox looks even sweeter because it uses your whole body! (Ha! I'm now trying to convince Kevin to upgrade to that.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janelle you are so crafty! I love those flowers. Some day you will have to teach me how to make them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nelle! Teach me about the hair flowers. I want more of them but I don't know where to start! Also, I LOVE the quilt! Looks awesome! My mother in law helped me to sew the girls at work aprons for Christmas. I want to do a quilt next. I'm not afraid anymore! Although, I'm not a perfectionist and I feel like this hinders me when it comes to sewing. ANYways, I'm glad your blogging and back in paradise!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Quilt looks awesome. The corners look perfect. You make me proud. I'm still really sad I didn't get to see you. I still need to call you back. I stared at the Kinect picture for a while trying to figure out who everybody was. I was like, "Did Rod and Shelley redecorate their living room? It looks GREAT!" Then I realized that you guys don't have anybody in your family who is black. So I figured it all out. It just took a while.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was so fun to see you guys! I'm glad you were able to be there for so long. The flowers were so fun. And I love your quilt! Good job on getting that done. At first I was thinking "Why is she holding up Mom's quilt pretending it's hers? Silly girl." But then I noticed it really is yours! Good job! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We miss everybody!!! It was a blast being together--Sewing, cooking, working, crafting (You girls are sooooo cute), the candy bar game, eating, playing...You did a fantastic job on your quilt!! Glad you feel less intimidated--that was the goal. Loveyoumissyoubothbye.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Saw the Brent and Janelle on our favorites bar and we are very happy you did that for us! The quilt looks wonderful -- you did a great job. The girls love the hair flowers you made--wishing they knew how to make them -- maybe next time. Did Brent get up on the surf board? Glad you both are getting back into the swing of things -- looks fun!

    ReplyDelete