Sunday, March 6, 2011

The Big Move

We spent last weekend packing up, deep cleaning, and moving boxes over to our new apartment on campus. Saturday night was our first night in the new place, then Sunday evening we went back over to Hauula to finish cleaning and get the rest of our stuff. We walked in the door of our old apartment and I saw something huge scatter across the wall.
I've never seen such a big spider in my life, and here it was crawling around the apartment I've lived in for the last 6 months. Luckily, I had Brent there who, being a little jumpy, was still brave enough to track down the beast and kill it for me.
Now, it's legs curled under when it was killed, so extend those legs about an inch and a half and you have the real size of the beast. All I can say is, I'm glad I hadn't spent the previous night in that apartment and I'm glad I'm never going back.

On a prettier note, we now live on the second floor of Building K in Temple View Apartments. I haven't seen a cockroach since we moved in! It's so nice to be able to walk to campus, walk to church, jump on the internet at home, and live ten minutes closer to work. We're loving it. I took some pix to help you all (especially my family) visualize where we live now.
Brent's busy making Argentine gnocchis (dumplings) to take to a potluck birthday celebration tonight. Yum!
And there's a bathroom too, but it's nothing special so I'll spare you the pictures. While we're still waiting for our decor and pictures to arrive from Boise (thanks Mom!), it's become home very fast and we love it. So here's to another 1.5 - 2 years in Hawaii!

And, just a sidenote, now we have way more room for all of you to come visit!

4 comments:

  1. It's great to see pictures! You've taken enough to give us a feel of the layout-- so that we can 'picture' your life there. Fun to see Marshanne's L-O-V-E blocks as decor. They're very cute. Wish we could send you more of your pictures etc., but for now you'll just have to do with what will fit in a couple of flat-rate mailers. Though I've looked at the apt. pictures several times, I have to quickly scroll past the ugly spider pictures! Glad you are enjoying your new home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, I seriously had to cover the spider pictures up with my bowl of oatmeal and just read the text. Looking at it made my stomach lurch big time! Now that you live in a cockroach/spider free place, I'd be glad to come and visit.

    And yay for your oven! The new place looks super cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! You have a great kitchen! What a cute little place, Nelle. I'm sure your sooo glad to there :) Thanks for the pics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I'm glad to see you have joined the ranks of cinder block dwellers; its not so bad. You're kitchen looked great! And I hear you about the spider. The other day I was in the bathroom and a spider crawled in so I ran to get a shoe to kill it. My first attempt failed because he was a fast little guy and when I moved the container he ran behind he was gone. Poof! Vanished. I never found him and it has kind of been freaking me out.

    ReplyDelete