Tuesday, October 19, 2010

The Haunted Lagoon

Last night, Brent surprised me with tickets to The Haunted Lagoon at the Polynesian Cultural Center. I've been wanting to go for weeks. I LOVE haunted things. And The Haunted Lagoon promised to be a top-knotch halloween attraction; the "real squeal" as Brent called it. Apparently, they go to Hollywood and get old movie props and costumes. That way, when you see the scary people, you don't think "Oh that's just a person who's dressed up in a corny costume." Instead, you think, "What is that thing, I think I'm going to die." Exactly how I like it. With regular ticket prices at $25 a person (don't worry, we got a deal), our expectations were pretty high. And the PCC did not disappoint.


This is who they call "the Laie Lady." She's known to haunt the lagoon at the PCC. As the story goes, she either drowned in the lagoon long ago or she went crazy after losing her first child. She's often spotted, dressed in white with long shiny black hair.

She was just waiting for our canoe. As were the zombies, the clowns, the witches, and other creatures that weren't exactly recognizable. Dozens of creatures were swimming in the lagoon, disguised until they would pop up onto the canoe right next to me. People were waiting for us under bridges, at villages, and every spot in between. It seemed that every single lagoon creature chose to pop up next to Brent and I. There's no doubt that we screamed more than anyone else on that canoe, even more than the children on board. At one point, we were thinking that the danger of the moment had passed, when I felt a hand run down my arm. I screamed. Everyone else on the canoe looked at me like I was crazy, like "Why did you just scream out of the blue?" But they didn't see the black creature that was still watching me in the lagoon.

The creatures liked to linger by us too because Brent would get more and more creeped out the longer they looked at him. He's not too good at these things. When we were dating, I took him to the Haunted Mill in Rexburg. As we were walking along a path, a scary guy jumped out and started chasing us. Brent grabbed me by the arm, threw me behind him, and started running. Apparently, his gut instinct told him to throw me to the wolves so he could get away. It's okay though, I thought it was funny. It's fun to watch him get so scared by these things, and he loves them as much as I do.

The Haunted Maze, the Haunted Mill; they don't even compare to The Haunted Lagoon. Now I'm thinking you all ought to come visit next October. I hear it gets better and better every year. Our experience this year was made even better by a friendly and cute little Asian girl who started talking to us in line. When we climbed into the canoe, she latched right on the Brent's other arm and informed him, "I'm gonna hang onto you, just for safety purposes."

This is us waiting to board our canoe.

This guy met us at the exit gate.

And one last picture to leave you with.

10 comments:

  1. Great post! sounds like a blast. We definately want to come next year. Places like that creep the heck out of me but you know what makes them even better? having Traci with you. SCARY! Joe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh I can hardly read this without re-living each moment as I thought my poor little life was almost over.. Oh and by the way those wolves at the haunted mill weren't even scary, I was running because I saw a little girl who needed assistance.. She always blows that story way out of proportion... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spoooooky! I HATE scary things. During scary movies I always fall asleep for self defense purposes. This place would be particularly treacherous for me, because not only do I hate things jumping out at me. I also hate water. I'll be having nightmares tonight. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man! My eyes watered just reading this post! Good thing it will be over by the time I visit you.(right?)

    ReplyDelete
  5. AHH! I'm officially jealous of you. I wasn't even jealous of the whole Hawaii thing until just now. I love scary things too! And you know what a hard time I had at the Haunted Mill. AGH! This look sooo awesome! The best part is, if you pee your pants you can just say you got splashed! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Janelle! I don't know if you remember me, I think I met you once a few years ago. I was friends with Brent in high school...anyway I just came across your blog! You guys are so cute! Just thought I'd say hello!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, not to sound repetitive, but I just came across your blog too. I've got to say that I think it's pretty cute you and Brent found each other. And P.S. I'm dang jealous you guys are in Hawaii!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Let's just say that I do not like haunted things and kindly decline any invitation I get to go (kind of funny because I really love celebrating Halloween). So, I'll have to pass on the whole coming to visit you in October thing; maybe some other time. Oh, and you guys are starting to look tan. Not that you didn't already, but...

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was an awesome post. Sadly, I'm far, far too brave for haunted houses (or lagoons for that matter) to scare me. I just can't get scared knowing that these are just underpaid teenagers in costumes that aren't allowed to harm me. But I still think that haunted houses/mills/lagoons are a lot of fun. I have been wanting to go to one with Natalie. Maybe we'll have to get a baby sitter some night soon. Yeah.

    So it's decided. We'll be there next October.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great/Scary post. I LOVE haunted things too--JUST NOT CLOWNS!!! You would have to share a picture of a creepy clown (even "normal" clowns creep me out, and have done since I was little-though I'm not sure why). It was nice of Brent to surprise you with tickets. Maybe that can officially make up for the Haunted Mill episode. Joe was right--having Traci along multiplies the BEING SCARED OUT OF YOUR WITS-factor significantly.

    ReplyDelete