At a campus party, we ran into some Meridian friends so we thought we'd take a picture. Both mine and Brent's families know Shellee (on the right, holding her son). What a coincidence to run into her during her Hawaiian vacation!
Last night we found a little friend who seems to like our apartment. I've decided to call him Fred. He's tiny and adventurous and even kinda cute.
I don't mind the geckos. Especially tiny ones like Fred. Sure, they poop all over, but it's not hard to clean up. It's the cockroaches I hate. When you turn on the lights at night, there's at least one, sometimes four in sight on your floor. They're two or more inches long and an inch thick. They're disgustingly dirty and they're fast and yucky to squish. The worst is when I wake up at night and have to go to the bathroom. Especially because I don't have my contacts in and who knows where my glasses are. I'm also not fond of the large, black earwigs. But hey, it's the price you have to pay for living in paradise.
I found this picture on the internet. I'm too busy making sure each and every cockroach dies (Brent does the killing while I stand on the bed or chair) to take my own picture.
And here's an earwig (also from the internet). Now please don't let this post deter you from booking plane tickets to come visit us. The bugs really aren't that bad, in fact, they keep life exciting. It's something I believe everyone should experience.
I've paid my dues with the roaches! Although there weren't as many as your dealing with, they're also a texas treasure :) Looks like you're having fun, and I like Fred. A lot!
ReplyDeleteOk, now you said the ducks that gathered around Adam would freak you out?!? Don't take this the wrong way, but I don't like Fred... and I HATE your cockroaches. Puke. Yuck. Gross.
ReplyDeleteYou tricked us. And I thought the true Hawaiian experience was all about the beaches. GROSS. That is why I will never live in Hawaii; but perhaps a visit would be nice!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful Ocean pictures--ugly bug pictures--impressive gecko pictures (Brent may have a career as a 'dangerous wildlife' photographer awaiting him by the time your Hawaii adventure is over. Med-school or National Geographic? Big decision.) Your attitude about the bugs impresses me--you don't seem bothered by them as much as you could be. Fred however is WAY CUTE. I wonder how long it takes for geckos to get as big as that one that scared us in Ha'apai, Tonga. If that one is still alive he should be the size of a swamp alligator by now.
ReplyDeleteI clicked on the link to the comments just so I could see what Natalie said about the cockroaches. But now I feel obligated to comment. The most roaches I ever experienced was when I moved into this really ghetto apartment in Vegas. My companion and I kept a running tally of our roach kills on a calendar. By the end of a few weeks it was over 400. We stopped counting after that. Bleck.
ReplyDelete